Green peppers and mint add a surprise to this Southern-style recipe. A roasting bag keeps the chicken moist and flavorful
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 roasting chicken (3-1/2 to 5 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 medium onions, quartered
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 medium green peppers, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried mint or 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 7 drops bitters, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place flour in oven bag; shake to coat. Place oven bag in a 13×9-in. baking pan or larger roasting pan. Sprinkle chicken with salt and cayenne pepper; place in bag.
- Surround chicken with onions, potatoes, carrots and green peppers. Place one garlic clove inside the chicken and one with the vegetables. Sprinkle parsley and mint over vegetables and chicken. Combine broth, Worcestershire sauce and bitters if desired. Pour under chicken inside of bag.
- Fasten the bag. Puncture the top of the bag five or six times with a fork. Bake until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°, 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
4 ounces cooked chicken with vegetables: 496 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 688mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 8g fiber), 32g protein.