- 2 medium red onions, divided
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 3/4 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- Thinly slice 1-1/2 onions; finely chop remaining onion half. In a large bowl, toss bread crumbs with chopped onion and seasonings. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into four 1/2-in.-thick oval patties.
- Place a lightly oiled large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add patties; cook 5-6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160°. Remove from pan. Discard drippings from pan.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch, bouillon and water until smooth. In same skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and sliced onions; cook and stir 5-7 minutes or until onions are tender.
- Stir in cornstarch mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Return Salisbury steaks to pan, turning to coat with sauce; heat through.
To make soft bread crumbs, tear bread into pieces and place in a food processor or blender. Cover and pulse until crumbs form. One slice of bread yields 1/2 to 3/4 cup crumbs.
1 serving: 244 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 192mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Click on the Next Page Arrow Button to continue reading and don’t forget to SHARE with your Facebook friends