- 1 pound hot ground sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 1 (26 to 32-ounce) frozen hash browns
- salt and pepper
- 12 large eggs
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 to 4 shakes hot sauce, I like Tabasco sauce
- 2 cups shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, sliced
- In a large nonstick pan, cook sausage onion, and red pepper until sausage is no longer pink, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Drain fat.
- Spray a slow cooker with cooking spray or use a crock pot liner. Layer half the hash browns in the bottom of the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper. Top with half the sausage mixture.
- Sprinkle half the cheese and half the green onions on top of the sausage.
- Spread remaining hash browns on top of cheese and season with salt and pepper. Spread the remaining sausage mixture on top of hash browns.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, half-and-half, garlic salt, salt, and pepper.
- Pour over casserole. Place lid on slow cooker and cook on LOW for 6 1/2 to 8 hours or until eggs are set. You can also cook on HIGH for 2 1/2 hours.
- Top with remaining cheese and green onion. Let sit until cheese melts.