Cook time: 40 Min Prep time: 15 Min Serves: 8
2 can(s) chiles, canned and mild (1 7 oz. can and 1 4 oz. can)
8 corn tortillas, cut into strips
1 pkg bulk breakfast sausage (12 oz.), cooked and drained
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1/2 c heavy whipping cream (can substitute milk or half and half)
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic salt or powder
1 1/2 c pepper jack or cheddar cheese (or a combination), shredded
2 small roma tomatoes, sliced
1/2 tsp paprika
sour cream, optional
pico de gallo, optional
romaine lettuce leaves, optional
1. Lightly coat a 13×9 (or similar size) baking dish with non-stick spray. Layer 1/2 of the chiles, tortilla strips, sausage, onion, and cheese in the dish.
2. Repeat a second time with remaining chiles, tortilla strips, sausage, onion, and cheese.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, cream, salt, pepper, garlic salt, and cumin together until well combined. Pour over casserole.
4. Arrange tomato slices on top. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
5. The next morning, heat over to 350 degrees. Remove plastic wrap and bake casserole 40 minutes or until center has set and edges are lightly browned.
6. If desired, serve with sour cream and pico de gallo. I always make up a nice display of these ingredients on a pretty serving tray with a bed of romaine lettuce.
Last Step: Don’t forget to share!
Click on the Next Page Arrow Button to continue reading and don’t forget to SHARE with your Facebook friends