These Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Donuts are anything but boring! This moist and delicious sweet treat is loaded with lemony and nutty flavor. They’re perfect on any given day.
- 2 cups organic all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup organic sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1-1/3 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup organic confectioners’ sugar plus more as needed
- 1 to 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons vegan-approved yellow gel food coloring
- Preheat oven to 400°. Lightly grease doughnut baking pans with coconut oil; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, poppy seeds, zest and salt. In a separate bowl, stir together almond milk, coconut oil, lemon juice and vanilla; add to dry mixture, mixing until combined. Transfer batter to a pastry bag; pipe batter into prepared pans.
- Bake until light golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean, 10-12 minutes. Cool in pans 5 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For glaze, whisk together confectioners’ sugar, almond milk, lemon juice, zest and vanilla until smooth; whisk in food coloring. Dip tops of donuts into glaze; let stand until set.
1 donut: 192 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 195mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.