With three active children, I don’t usually fuss with fancy desserts. This one is simple but impressive–it’s the one I make to show how much I care. The tempting combination of chocolate and tangy red cherries is guaranteed to make someone feel special.
- Dough for single-crust pie
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling, divided
- Whipped topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim crust to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cocoa and flour. Stir in milk until smooth. Add butter. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into eggs; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Fold in half of the pie filling. Pour into pastry shell.
- Bake until filling is almost set, 35-40 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Just before serving, top with remaining pie filling and whipped topping if desired.
Click on the Next Page Arrow Button to continue reading and don’t forget to SHARE with your Facebook friends