Make the most of the Thanksgiving holiday and share baking bread in a bag with your kids at home or in the classroom. Explore how does yeast work in bread and share a delicious treat at the end with our easy bread in a bag recipe.
- 3 cups flour, divided
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 ¼ teaspoons rapid rise yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110 to 120 degrees)
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 gallon-size freezer bag
- In a freezer bag, add 1 cup flour, sugar, and yeast. Seal and shake together.
- Open the bag and pour in water. Seal and squeeze/shake the bag to mix until blended.
- Rest the bag for 10 minutes on the counter or until bubbles form in the bag.
- Re-open the bag, adding the oil and 1 cup of flour. Seal and mix by squeezing/squishing the bag.
- Add remaining flour to the bag and seal. Knead the bag until the flour is completely incorporated.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until the dough bounces back easily when pressed, about 5 minutes.
- Shape into a loaf and place in a 9×5 inch bread pan spritzed with nonstick cooking spray. Cover and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 60 minutes.
- While the dough rises, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake the bread for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool in the baking pan for 10 minutes before flipping out onto a wire cooling rack.