I love to make desserts with fruit all summer, and this cherry slab pie is wonderful because you can quickly make it for a crowd. The crumbly, nutty streusel is perfect with fruit. You can make your own pastry or use store-bought pie crust.
- 1 pound fresh sweet cherries, pitted
- 4 medium red plums, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Dough for double-crust pie
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, combine cherries, plums, sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice; toss to coat.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 16×12-in. rectangle; transfer to an ungreased 13×9-in. baking dish. Trim even with rim of dish. Add filling. For topping, in a small bowl, mix oats, walnuts, flour, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling.
- Bake until filling is bubbly and crust is golden brown, 50-55 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Dough for double-crust pie: Combine 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour and 1/2 tsp. salt; cut in 1 cup cold butter until crumbly. Gradually add 1/3 to 2/3 cup ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
1 piece: 279 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 155mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Click on the Next Page Arrow Button to continue reading and don’t forget to SHARE with your Facebook friends