We enjoy this hearty, traditional meat pie year-round, but especially during hunting season. This is one recipe I’ll be sure to pass on to our seven children.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups shredded peeled potatoes
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded peeled rutabaga
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- EGG WASH:
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- Place shortening in a large bowl. Add boiling water; stir until shortening is melted. In a small bowl, mix flour and salt. Add to shortening mixture; stir until a soft ball forms. Cover and refrigerate until cooled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll 1 dough portion into a 17×13-in. rectangle. Transfer to an ungreased 13×9-in. baking dish. Press onto bottom and up sides of dish. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of dish.
- In a large bowl, combine filling ingredients. Spoon into pastry. Roll out remaining dough into a 13×9-in. rectangle. Place over filling. Fold bottom pastry over top pastry; press with a fork to seal. In a small bowl, whisk egg and milk; brush over pastry. Cut slits in top. Bake 1-1/4 hours or until golden brown.
When a recipe instructs you to divided dough into portions, place the dough on a floured surface and flatten slightly. Cut the dough with a sharp knife, pizza cutter or dough cutter (sometimes called a pastry scraper). It’s important not to tear the dough, so don’t use a serrated knife.
1 serving: 610 calories, 31g fat (9g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 790mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 23g protein.
Click on the Next Page Arrow Button to continue reading and don’t forget to SHARE with your Facebook friends