My grandma’s apple cake recipe is perfect for fall gatherings. With lightly spiced apples and a sweet glaze, each slice is comforting.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable or canola oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 medium apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 300°. Line bottom of a 10-in. springform pan or a 13×9-in. baking pan with parchment; grease parchment. In a bowl, whisk together flour and next 5 ingredients. In a large bowl, beat oil, sugar and eggs until pale and slightly thick, about 2 minutes. Beat in vanilla and lemon juice. Add dry ingredients; stir just until moistened. Fold in apples and walnuts (batter will be thick).
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 55- 60 minutes. Cool cake in pan on rack.
- For glaze, mix confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice; drizzle over cake.
1 piece: 378 calories, 22g fat (2g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links.