- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Optional: Whipped cream and confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Toss blackberries with 1/4 cup flour; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Beat in eggs. Combine baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, cloves, allspice and remaining 1-3/4 cups flour; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in blackberries.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9-in. square baking pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. If desired, serve with whipped cream and top with confectioners’ sugar and additional fresh blackberries.
1 piece: 312 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 410mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.