6 oz chorizo (mexican sausage, mild or medium)
1 lb ground beef
1/2 c finely chopped white onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 can(s) (8-oz.) tomato sauce
1/4 c sliced pitted ripe olives
12 flour tortillas, (8-in diameter)
1 c (4-oz) shredded monterey jack cheese
your favorite salsa
1. Remove and throw away chorizo casings. Heat large skillet over high heat until hot. Reduce heat to medium and crumble chorizo into skillet. Brown 6 to 8 minutes, stirring to separate meat.
2. Crumble beef into skillet with chorizo. Brown over medium-high heat 6 to 8 minutes, stirring to separate meat. Add onion, garlic and cumin; cook and stir 4 minutes or until onion is softened. Spoon off and discard fat from skillet.
3. Stir in tomato sauce and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and cover; simmer 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, uncover skillet; increase heat to medium. Cook and stir 5 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated and meat is moistly coated with sauce. Stir in olives.
4. Open bag of tortillas, but do not take them out or wrap them in plastic wrap. Heat on high in microwave 30 seconds, turn them over and heat 30 seconds more. Place 1/4 cup meat mixture in center of 1 tortilla. Spread to within 1 1/2 inches of bottom and side edges. Sprinkle with slightly rounded tablespoon cheese.
5. To form, fold bottom edge of tortilla up over filling; fold in side edges, then roll up to completely enclose filling. Secure top with wooden toothpicks.
6. Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Preheat deep fryer to 375 degrees or heat 1 inch oil in deep, heavy skillet over medium-high heat to 375 degrees; adjust heat to maintain temperature. Line baking sheet with paper towels.
7. Fry 2 to 3 chimichangas at a time in oil 2 to 3 minutes until golden on all sides, turning occasionally. Remove with tongs; drain on paper towels. Keep warm in oven on prepared baking sheet.
8. Prepare a bed of shredded lettuce on serving plate. Place 2 chimichangas in lettuce. Spoon desired amount of your favorite salsa over top and add a dollop of sour cream. Enjoy!
Last Step: Don’t forget to share!
Click on the Next Page Arrow Button to continue reading and don’t forget to SHARE with your Facebook friends