- 1 tablespoon Madras curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 4 ounces each)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups Goya mojo criollo marinade, well-shaken
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Hot cooked rice, green onions and fresh cilantro leaves, optional
- Combine curry powder, garlic powder and pepper; sprinkle over chicken, pressing to help it adhere. Place chicken in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle with onion. Carefully pour mojo criollo marinade along the sides of slow cooker, avoiding chicken to keep coating intact. Cook, covered, on low until a thermometer reads 170°, 4-6 hours. Remove chicken; keep warm.
- Pour cooking juices from slow cooker into a measuring cup; skim fat. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in cooking juices. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Reduce heat; add chicken and simmer about 5 minutes. If desired, serve with rice, green onions and cilantro.
Test Kitchen tips
- Mojo criollo (pronounced
- is a citrus-based marinade commonly used in Latin American and Caribbean cooking. You’ll find it in large bottles in most supermarkets.
- Chop up leftovers and fill warmed tortillas for Caribbean-style burritos. Amazing!
- Turmeric gives curry powder its intense yellow color. It’s thought to have several health benefits including anti-inflammatory properties and improved digestive health.
1 chicken thigh with 6 tablespoons sauce: 249 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 514mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fat.
Click on the Next Page Arrow Button to continue reading and don’t forget to SHARE with your Facebook friends