I get lots of compliments on these crunchy cookies. They’re always part of my Christmas cookie platter.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1-1/2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. In another bowl, whisk flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix cinnamon and remaining sugar. Shape dough into 1-in. balls; roll in cinnamon sugar. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool.
1 cookie: 63 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 36mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.