Save room on your holiday treat trays for these sweet and salty spirals. Oh, and hide some for yourself, too. They’ll be in high demand!
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/2 cup softened butter, divided
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2-1/4 cups deluxe mixed nuts, divided
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- Butter an 8-in. square pan with 2 teaspoons butter; set aside.
- Combine confectioners’ sugar and milk powder. In a large heavy saucepan, combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 cup corn syrup and remaining butter; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil. Stir in confectioners’ sugar mixture, about a third at a time, until blended.
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Continue stirring until mixture mounds slightly when dropped from a spoon and a thermometer reads 150°. Spread into prepared pan. Cool for 15 minutes.
- For filling, combine 1/4 cup granulated sugar and cinnamon. Place 3/4 cup nuts in a food processor; cover and pulse until ground.
- Cut cooled candy into quarters. Roll each into a 9×5-in. rectangle. Sprinkle each rectangle with a fourth of the sugar mixture and a fourth of the ground nuts to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with a long side.
- Chop remaining nuts. Brush each roll with corn syrup; roll in nuts. Using a serrated knife, cut into 1/2-in. slices. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Test Kitchen tipIt’s important to stir the mixture while it cools so it sets up properly. When it reaches 150°, you’re done and ready to let it cool on its own.
1 piece: 71 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 28mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Click on the Next Page Arrow Button to continue reading and don’t forget to SHARE with your Facebook friends