We moved into a house with a yard of fresh rhubarb. To use some of those ruby stalks, we made rhubarb bread with cinnamon and pecans.
- 3 cups coarsely chopped fresh rhubarb (about 12 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour two 8×4-in. loaf pans.
- Toss rhubarb with 2 tablespoons sugar; let stand while preparing batter.
- In a large bowl, beat oil, eggs, vanilla and remaining sugar until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and baking powder; gradually beat into oil mixture (batter will be thick). Stir in rhubarb mixture and, if desired, pecans.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
1 slice: 211 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 162mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Click on the Next Page Arrow Button to continue reading and don’t forget to SHARE with your Facebook friends