We moved into a house with a yard of fresh rhubarb. To use some of those ruby stalks, we made rhubarb bread with cinnamon and pecans.
- 3 cups coarsely chopped fresh rhubarb (about 12 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour two 8×4-in. loaf pans.
- Toss rhubarb with 2 tablespoons sugar; let stand while preparing batter.
- In a large bowl, beat oil, eggs, vanilla and remaining sugar until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and baking powder; gradually beat into oil mixture (batter will be thick). Stir in rhubarb mixture and, if desired, pecans.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
1 slice: 211 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 162mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.