- 2 packages spice cake mix (regular size)
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 2 cups white baking chips
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) vanilla frosting
- Red, yellow and green paste or liquid food coloring
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the cake mixes, eggs, pumpkin, oil and milk; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Stir in baking chips. Fill two greased muffin cups two-thirds full. Pour remaining batter into two greased and floured 12-cup fluted tube pans.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 minutes for cupcakes and 40-45 minutes for cakes. Cool in pans, 25 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Level the bottom of each cake. Spread one cake bottom with frosting; place cake bottoms together to form a pumpkin. Set aside.
- Combine red and yellow food coloring to make orange; tint about three-fourths of the frosting. Tint remaining frosting green.
- Place one cupcake right side up in the center of the cake to support the stem. Place a dollop of green frosting on the cupcake and top with an upside-down cupcake; frost with green frosting. Frost the cake with orange frosting.
- With green frosting, pipe curly vines and leaves. Combine coconut with green food coloring; sprinkle around base of cake.
Editor’s Note: Cakes must be baked in identical cake pans or baked in two batches.
1 slice: 581 calories, 26g fat (12g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 462mg sodium, 83g carbohydrate (61g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.