As a bread baker, I’m always experimenting with new flavor combinations. My mustard and Gruyere bread has become my all-time favorite for sandwiches. The bread elevates every sandwich to gourmet status.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 3 tablespoons stone-ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups bread flour
- 8 ounces smoked Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- Optional: 1 tablespoon each sesame seeds, poppy seeds and mustard seeds
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine egg, oil, minced onion, stone-ground mustard, ground mustard, onion powder, salt, yeast mixture and 2 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Stir in cheese.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide and shape into 18 balls, about 2 ounces each. Flatten each ball to a 4-in. circle. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until slightly puffed, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Brush rolls with Dijon mustard; if desired, sprinkle with seeds. Bake until lightly browned, 15-18 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled rolls in freezer containers. To use, thaw at room temperature or, if desired, microwave each roll on high until heated through, 10-15 seconds.
1 roll: 204 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 423mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Click on the Next Page Arrow Button to continue reading and don’t forget to SHARE with your Facebook friends