The marinade makes a savory statement in this all-time-favorite chicken recipe that I served at our son’s pirate-themed birthday party. It smelled so good on the grill that guests could hardly wait to try a piece!
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3 to 4 pounds each), quartered
- In a small bowl, combine first 10 ingredients. Set aside 1/3 cup for basting; cover and refrigerate. Pour remaining marinade into a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken; seal and turn to coat. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Place chicken over drip pan; grill, covered, over indirect medium heat 45-60 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°-175°, turning and basting frequently with reserved marinade during the last 20 minutes.
1 serving: 296 calories, 21g fat (4g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 1199mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 23g protein.