With all its fresh ingredients, this pretty spinach salad was my mom’s favorite. Even my little ones like it (but don’t tell them spinach is good for them)!
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 10 ounces fresh baby spinach (about 13 cups)
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 5 hard-boiled large eggs, sliced
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Whisk first 4 ingredients until sugar is dissolved.
- In a 13×9-in. dish, layer half of each of the following: spinach, onion, mushrooms and eggs. Repeat layers. Drizzle with dressing; top with bacon.
Health Tip: Skip the bacon and this is an easy meat-free, gluten-free, dairy-free potluck dish!
1-1/4 cups: 280 calories, 21g fat (3g saturated fat), 125mg cholesterol, 214mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.