- 1 bunch of broccoli, cut into equal sized florets (around 3-4 cups)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I used Cabot Vermont Sharp White Cheddar)
- 1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Pour 1 inch of water into a saucepan; bring to a boil. Place the broccoli into the boiling water, cover, and reduce the heat to medium. Cook the broccoli for 5-6 minutes, or until it can easily be pierced by a fork. Drain the broccoli and set aside to cool slightly.
- Lay the broccoli out onto paper towels and cover with more paper towels, Press down firmly on the broccoli to absorb as much moisture as you can. Another method is to put the broccoli in the center of a dish towel and ring out the water as seen here. Finely chop the broccoli.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients and season with salt and pepper. Stir everything together until well mixed. Fill each muffin cup in a mini muffin tin to the top, pushing down on the filling with your spoon so it’s nice and compacted.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes in preheated oven. The top will be starting to golden. To easily remove from the pan (without scratching it to death), run a plastic knife around the edges of each tot and they should come out easier.
- If they seem to be falling apart when you take them out of the pan you can (1) put them back into the oven to cook for a few minutes longer so they are a bit crisper or (2) let them sit in the pan for a few minutes to let the insides firm up a bit before removing them from the pan. You have to be ginger with them if they’re sticking a little to the pan!
- The sharp cheddar can be substituted with whatever cheese you have on hand.